Monday, November 2, 2009

The Combine


To be honest, I did not know what a combine was until I wrote this blog, although I have seen them quite often throughout my lifetime. A combine is the piece of farming equipment that threshes and cleans the gain. It is a rather large piece of equipment. I actually saw a combine last night on my way home from visiting the cranes in Jasper County that was working in the dark by the light of the moon and its very bright headlights. It made me think that a farmer’s work is never done. To continue, this piece of machinery was invented in the 1830’s (although not a high tech. as they are today). Before it was introduced, the grain had to be cut, stacked, collected, separated, and cleaned by hand and individually. With the introduction of the combine, the farmer’s work was greatly altered, since it could do up to three tasks at one time.

No comments:

Post a Comment